Science is constantly advancing with discoveries of new treatments for skin and health care. For example, using superoxide dismutase for skin benefits.
It is important to know what the various antioxidant treatments consist of, as well as whether or not they are indicated for our skin type, and how to get the best benefit in each case.
It will be advisable to have the recommendation and advice of a medical professional to endorse its application in cases of patients with particular pathologies, which require medical review before trying any treatment.
That said, in this post we will learn more about superoxide dismutase skin benefits and for health.
What is Superoxide Dismutase?
Superoxide dismutase, or SOD, is a natural enzyme considered to be the most powerful antioxidant known. Besides, for having diverse properties for the well-being of the skin, as well as for general health.
This protein is located in the red blood cells. For its proper functioning, it requires the participation of minerals such as zinc, copper, magnesium and selenium.
It has the ability to catalyze the reaction that inactivates free radicals superoxides of nitrogen and oxygen, converting them into chemical species such as ozone and H2O2.
It should be noted that this enzyme was discovered in 1968 by McCords and Frindovich, and since then its participation in treatments for various diseases has been very efficient. Additionally, it contributed to the development of countless products in the world of cosmetics, given the multiple superoxide dismutase skin benefits.
What are the skin and health benefits of superoxide dismutase?
Let’s discover the important benefits of SOD in our health and skin care:
- Superoxide dismutase has anti-inflammatory capacity, contributing to reduce pain in patients with arthritis, ailments associated with the elderly, as well as treatments against arteriosclerosis.
- As a powerful antioxidant it has great properties to reduce the effects of oxidative stress, and the presence of free radicals on the skin. Being used for the creation of different anti-aging or restorative cosmetic products, with effective results.
- One of the superoxide dismutase skin benefits and health, is its efficacy in the treatment of infectious, respiratory diseases such as asthma, inflammatory, metabolic and cardiovascular diseases, as well as genitourinary disorders and fertility problems.
- Other medical treatments where the action of SOD has proved to be efficient and of great help are those related to diseases such as Parkinson’s, osteoarthritis, Alzheimer’s, cataracts, interstitial cystitis, gout, among others.
- The superoxide dismutase or SOD, contributes to the repair of cells, ending the effects caused by the action of free radicals in the body.
- Superoxide dismutase skin benefits and for health, also include its use in cases of prostate problems, burns, corneal ulcers, vesicular diseases, radiation damage and smoking, prevention of damage and side effects associated with anticancer treatments.
- This enzyme is present in both the dermis and the epidermis, with an important participation in the generation of fibroblasts, which are the cells that regenerate the skin.
- Another superoxide dismutase skin and health benefits is that it represents one of the most effective treatments against vitiligo, since the SOD enzyme drastically reduces oxidative stress in the area, neutralizing the action of free radicals and recovering the cells’ ability to maintain a stable internal condition.
For all these reasons, SOD plays a fundamental role in skin care treatments, achieving important effects related to skin freshness, radiance, stopping skin aging, etc.
It is common to find this component in numerous cosmetic products, thanks superoxide dismutase skin benefits.
It is significant to keep in mind that the production of SOD in the blood decreases with increasing age, so you should consider the option of ingesting it through food supplements, healthy foods or applying it through creams or lotions containing this protein enzyme in its formula.
In which products can we find Superoxide Dismutase?
SOD enzyme can be purchased in various presentations and food and cosmetic products, that allow you to enjoy superoxide dismutase skin benefits:
SOD supplement benefits and other products
- Various food supplements specialized in skin care, with specialized anti-aging formulas, to recover the brightness and freshness of the skin, protection against external agents, among other treatments for the care and repair of the skin, which also have revitalizing effects for the body in general, which are possible thanks to the powerful antioxidant action of the SOD enzyme.
- Anti-aging cosmetic lotions and creams, which eliminate or diminish expression lines and wrinkles, burns, skin whitening, scars, etc.
- Superoxide dismutase is present in foods such as broccoli, barley, spinach, chard, asparagus, wheat, Brussels sprouts, etc.
- Spray for capillary use to prevent hair loss.
- A balanced diet rich in natural products will be enough for the body to produce superoxide dismutase, for this it will be necessary to include foods with zinc, selenium, copper and magnesium, such as fruits, beans, nuts, brown rice, milk, seaweed, tofu, onion, whole grains, garlic.
It should be noted that exercise, as well as adequate rest, contribute to the process by which the body generates this protein enzyme.
Leading a healthy lifestyle will be the ideal complement to any aesthetic or beneficial treatment for skin care and general health.
For this, it is necessary to cultivate habits and routines that incorporate a balanced diet in which you can receive, for example, superoxide dismutase skin benefits, in addition to the nutrients necessary to perform all daily activities with energy.
SOD supplement has many benefits, but do not forget as well as hydrating adequately with enough water, and incorporating exercise according to our abilities and needs.
Mental and emotional health also plays a fundamental role and it will be necessary to try to lead a quiet life, with harmonious relationships, learn to control stressful situations, plan and organize time and activities that require our attention and responsibility.
On the other hand, it is recommended to sleep at least eight hours a day to guarantee that your body rests. At the same time, the practice of activities such as yoga can be of great help to achieve physical, mental and emotional balance.
Applying this set of recommendations and taking advantage of superoxide dismutase skin benefits, the results will be indisputable in the good appearance of the skin and in the general state of health.