Dopamine is a molecule that is naturally produced in the brain. Dopamine recovery is a natural process which is essential for the proper physical, emotional and intellectual functioning of the individual.
Nowadays, people are seeking a healthy and full of wellness lifestyle, dopamine is associated with pleasant and relaxing sensations. Although, depending on the region of the brain where it is located, its fusion will be different.
However, this chemical substance exerts a series of reactions according to the situation in which we find ourselves, therefore, we all need to maintain an adequate level of this neurotransmitter in our nervous system.
From liking extreme sports, to sexual desire, personal satisfaction, the need to be competitive, or defensive reactions to danger. These are related to the levels of dopamine present in the regions of the brain.
In addition to the above, in this post we will learn other very relevant aspects about this molecule, how long does it take for dopamine to recover, and how to help this to happen.
Functions and effects of dopamine
Before knowing about dopamine recovery, it is important to keep in mind the main functions of dopamine, as well as its most important effects, which are as follows:
- Locomotor function: carrying information from the brain to the muscles to enable various body movements, such as walking, running, jumping, etc.
- Mood regulation: dopamine is considered as the happiness molecule and is related to pleasant, joyful and euphoric emotions. It can also lead to addictive situations.
- Regulating sleep: this molecule allows regulating sleep cycles, balancing energy while awake and restful sleep.
- Muscle functions: neurons transmit information to the different muscles to perform activities such as grasping objects, using devices, among others.
- Regulation of cardiac activity: dopamine allows controlling optimal levels of heart rate and blood pressure.
- Regulation of memory and learning: dopamine favors the proper functioning of the cognitive system, strengthening memory and learning capacity.
- Body weight regulation: a good production of dopamine in the body, favors personal satisfaction, which is useful to control anxiety and avoid uncontrolled consumption of food or beverages that can cause overweight.
- Creativity: dopamine levels in the thalamus area favor creative tendencies in the person.
- Personality development: variations in dopamine levels in the organism are related to personality traits. If the level is low it is associated with calm people with self-confidence, while high levels of dopamine are associated with individuals with a lot of fear, anxiety and stress.
- Sociability: dopamine influences social interactions.
- Need for strong emotions: activities that produce strong emotions, such as skydiving, generate high production of dopamine in the body and then leave a feeling of well-being and relaxation.
How long does it take for dopamine to recover?
Many experts say that it takes 3 months, but it depends on the person and his lifestyle, if drug consumption is implied or not. Therefore, it could take up to a year to recover.
Consequences of dopamine deficiency in the body
If you have low levels of dopamine in your body, you may experience situations related to:
- Lack of interest and motivation
- Sleeping difficulties
- Feelings of guilt and sadness
- Inability to concentrate and forgetfulness
- Difficulty for feeling pleasure
- Self-destructive and impulsive behavior
- Weight gain
- Restless legs syndrome
How to recover dopamine
There are several natural ways for dopamine recovery in the organism, which occurs immediately after its stimulation, we will mention the following:
Being addicted not only to drugs and tobacco, but also to the indiscriminate use of social media and games, tends to raise dopamine levels. But this will end up with addiction problems, as well as the efficiency of related functions.
In the case of smoking, when quitting smoking, the brain recovers its capacity to produce dopamine naturally and sufficiently.
How long does it take for dopamine to recover? Three months are required for dopamine recovery after quitting smoking, says some scientific studies.
The fact of doing physical exercises offers the possibility of dopamine recovery, releasing endorphins and serotonin as well.
The pleasant sensation that generates the practice of exercises, makes the person want to continue practicing them.
The practice of yoga is very suitable for dopamine recovery, due to its integral process that involves achieving physical and emotional well-being at the same time.
Consuming foods such as chocolate, strawberries, blueberries, shrimp, fish, green tea contribute to generate feelings of well-being and happiness.
Additionally, food rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, facilitate the production of dopamine in the body. To boost vitamin intake, supplements are a good option.
Having sexual activity
Another natural way of dopamine recovery in the body is through frequent sexual activity.
When people fall in love, a process of production and release of dopamine also occurs.
Listening to music
It may seem as a common or not very relevant activity, but listening to music involves important reactions in our nervous system, contributing to dopamine recovery, which offers rewarding and pleasant sensations.
Setting achievable and measurable goals offers the feeling of well-being for achieving the goal set, which represents another form of dopamine recovery in the organism, favoring its production and release.
It is not necessary to set complex or difficult to reach goals, as a strategy it will be important to set goals that require effort, but that are achievable, in order to enjoy the satisfaction of the achievement in the short term.
Before concluding, it is also essential to know that no excess is good and that abusing the production of dopamine can generate serious inconveniences for the organism, as mental disorders, lack of motivation, isolation, impossibility to experience emotions, among others. Keep it up with Greenfilled’s posts.